Sunday, August 24, 2008

S is for Suit!

Suits are back, and they’re making no apologies! Furthermore, they are more modern and creative than ever!
Even if your workplace doesn’t require it, donning a suit gives you an instant power boost. Just as wearing a killer pair of heels changes your gait, imbuing your swagger with sex appeal, wearing a coordinated combo communicates authority and confidence.
A gal can’t help but feel self-assured when sporting a sassy tweed pencil skirt and fitted jacket (a la Thakoon, above left), right darlings?

SWEET AND LOVELY

The suit, softened, at Valentino

Runway photos via nymag.com unless otherwise credited.
Asprey

fabulous florals
FUR SURE!

Giambattista Valli fur-trimmed mint

Check out the "fingerless glove" effect of these sleeves!


Isaac Mizrahi

Fur creates a "bell" sleeve for this chic collarless jacket!
Blumarine


Tweed pairs fabulously with fur, leather and animal prints!





J. Mendel,
via style.com
MAD FOR PLAID

D&G,
via style.com

Of course, these pieces will stand even better on their own!
Ralph Lauren


Note the sassy hemline and pairing of different size checks!!





SHINY STYLE

Donna Karan gets glittery
Milly has sheen too!
MINIS ARE THE MOST!

Etro goes skater-skirt chic;

via style.com
Zac
Posen
BLUE BLAZES


Jens Laugesen
makes us miss the 80s!
Todd Lynn
Just a hint of royal at YSL,
via style.com
Loewe Resort 2009 – chic, minimalist, and seasonless!

Note that the pencil skirt is paired with a sleek shirt and tie rather than a jacket!
6267


A gorgeous military-inspired (yet oh-so-feminine) full-skirted suit in winter white
GREAT LENGTHS

Michael Kors

Classic in camel, but with a longer skirt and a short sleeve, double-breasted jacket for a modern twist!
Jaeger London
PANTS SUITS!

Salvatore Ferragamo with winter white
The post-modern pantsuit at Junya Watanabe;
this photo and next two via style.com
Max Mara menswear-inspired double-breasted pantsuit
Fun with florals at Dries van Noten
Abbreviated pants in raspberry silk at Gai Mattiolo

Photo courtesy Vogue Paris
THE TRUMPET SKIRT GETS SOME FANFARE!
Richard Chai
Verrier


What a lovely outsize houndstooth print!
KNEE-GRAZING SKIRTS

Marc Jacobs

Note that pairing a conservative suit with knee-high boots makes it feel a tad edgier and more modern!





Tuleh

(by the by: how amazing is that purple fedora??)
Lanvin shiny slate,

via style.com

Note the plunging neckline! Be bold and lose your shirt!
Prada shirt dress and pumps


Photo courtesy wwd.com.
In the shops:
Sexy tweeds at Bebe







Above:
Dior's curvaceous crimson, at Neiman Marcus

At right:
Donna Karan antique beaded tweed jacket and sarong skirt, at Saks Fifth Avenue
(Note that brown opaque tights are a lovely alternative to the ubiquitous black.)
There are numerous affordable suiting options at Victoria’s Secret!
How classic and chic is this look at right?

Visit victoriassecret.com.
D&G chocolate delight,

at Neiman Marcus


If you’re suit-averse, channel the trend one of the following ways:
1) Mix it up!
No need to be matchy-matchy!

Check out the youthful suiting look below from Karen Zambos; mustard plaid cropped jacket and tweed high waist mini, available at chickdowntown.com
2) Wear a dress and jacket instead; makes for an easier day-to-night transition, too!


Carolina Herrera floral jacquard jacket and sheath, at Bergdorf Goodman
3) Try a flirty coat dress,
like this green Smythe les Vestes’
from shoplanguage.com
4) Opt for a monochrome look that hints at a suit but is a tad more casual, like this purple combo put together at ravinstyle.com: Hunter Dixon Tess blouse and Denim of Virtue tapered jean
5) Fake it with matching separates!
CC loves this Chloe Wanderlust asymmetric floral skirt and blouse combo,
available at net-a-porter.com.


Note that it’s paired with patterned tights!
The suit look need not be conservative, darlings! Have fun and make it your own!

40 comments:

bronwyn said...

Absolutely fabulous roundup!Great blog, you're really on the mark. I'm definitely adding you to my blogroll.

karen said...

I just love a classic blazer it ties together an outfit.
great post!

xoxo
karen

Anonymous said...

I love the suit on the second photo. Actually I adore every suit: they are so feminine.

Richel said...

I like suits but I wouldn't know how to wear one to school. Any suggestions?

FASHION CHALET said...

I love how you have started the alphabet with your posts, so creative. Some amazing suits posts up above, as well. xx

Thanks for your lovely comment, my dear. <3

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

LOVE the Asprey floral suit. If I could find a black with red flowers skirt suit I would swoon!

Seeker said...

Oh, great post!
Suits are a must-have specially to career women.
Even if we like to mix with other styles, like I do, a suit has always it place.
And it's true, we feel powerful in one.
Love so much some you posted and the tip to give them a more modern look inspired me.

xoxo

Tani Lezama said...

prada está muy bueno, viste el pdf de la ultima coleccion?

besos CC... si puedes visita mi blog el de tami sami

beso!

Anonymous said...

Lots of fab suits! E.g. the third one (floral).

alluretone said...

love the suit from valentino, ysl, lanvin.. ooo they all look so fab

Anastacia said...

I can't wait to be wearing some of the new fall shapes!!!

WendyB said...

I wore some awesome suits during my corporate days. I never thought I'd miss wearing them, but I do. I started using the jackets more last year, but I don't have a lot of opportunity to wear the head-to-toe look without looking a little uptight.

Little Bow Prep said...

They are quite awesome.

I'm quite a fan of the first, Asprey, 6267, and Richard Chai suits.

The Dior one is to die for!

Nicole Linette said...

I am dreaming of Dolce & Gabbanna's fall 2008 collection; tweed + plaid = major swoon :)


peace&love
nicole.

Nicole Linette said...

Oh, and I added you to my blog list as well because your insight on fashion is incredible :)

Anonymous said...

The Asprey and Zac Posen suits are wonderful - i love that they aren't the standard corporate garb that we normally associate suiting with. Awesome post :D

Sienna said...

It is my DREAM to own a Chanel suit one day! Haha.. as for the flats, I ran out of time, so I have to go back this week, but thanks for the tip! My mom gave me her old Bally flats in the mean time :)

Elizabeth said...

I like so many of these suits. If only my life called for them.

Songy said...

YSL is bold and exciting. I'd instantly love Kors' tan coloured suit. I was expecting some armani tho! :)

I have a couple and they are just great. what can I say. :p

Dana (MODAna) said...

everybody loves fall.
it makes me sad to think summer's ending.
it's the longest time before more summer.
ick. i look fat in layers.
ignore me.

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I absolute adore suits ... and get jealous every time my mom gets to wear one to work .. ugh. I find suits to be incredibly sexy and feminine.... wonderful post, as always... and definately adore the alphabet posts :)

Annie Spandex said...

I love blazers and tights. :)

Sharon S said...

Hi couture carrie-I love all your wonderful picks, but my favourite part of the post is your tips on making suits work for you! I love the mix and match tip and also the matching Chloe blouse and skirt!

Claudia said...

I must say I never been a big suit fan, I found them terrible. But this changed everything! I'll try to convince my mom to buy one, because i'm obviously too young for them.

leeselooks said...

is it weird that I like the D & G suit the best? ( BUT I could never wear them together...) they would be perfect worn seperately...

thanks again love. so wonderful.

Lucy said...

love the zac posen. infact, love all zac posen!

María Pilar Bernal Maya said...

Great your post. I love suits!!!
I use the to work and I fell real fine.
Kss
;-)

Sr Q said...

Yo estoy muy a favor de que se recupere el traje de chaqueta. Tiene la leyenda negativa de que envejece, es muy formal y aburrido. NO me lo creo, con buenos complementos, quitandole seriedad puede ser una propuesta sencilla y lo mejor: facil.

Un saludo.

jess said...

Those look great.I really like the skirt on the Zac Posen one

♔Jaimie said...

oh i love so many of them!

♔Jaimie said...

=) wonderful!

Anthea said...

Love that Asprey suit, it has an oriental feel to it. I know I am going to have to be wearing suits soon..I just don't know if I'm ready. These make me feel a bit better!!

Danz said...

Hey CC! I usually like to mix and match my separates but there's nothing like a fabulous, well tailored suit!

I think pantsuits are absolutely fabulous - that white one from Salvatore Ferragamo is so chic and sexy!

I also saw on the Bebe website that one of their main looks for fall is the suit so it's definitely not only on the runway that the suit is making a comeback.

Great post as usual darling!

Take care and have a wonderful day :)

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

I have a job interview tomorrow morning and if I could wear that little Etro or Richard Chai suit I would be in HEAVEN!
Great round-up of some fabulous suits CC!

♔Jaimie said...

i love the chocolate tiers!

Myriam said...

Suits are so fabulous! I'd love to dress up like that everyday at my work haha!

Da Fashionista said...

nothing like a hot suit to make you feel invincible.

TIG said...

Crazy beautiful round-up. Definitely a suit girl, and am so excited they're back!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent synthesis-- thank you! I've done a lot of reading on pantsuits today and this is very well-informed. The design can improve, as you know, but seriously, content is king! Keep it up. I will check back.


PS: I never leave blog posts and I wanted to leave this so much I actually created an account.

Anonymous said...

Suit are the best way to start a important business meeting.